Saturday, November 29, 2008

Finding and collecting my money

It occurred to me that I may be entitled to a refund of the excise tax and Goods and Services Tax that I paid in 2005 on the van I imported into Canada from the US. I brought the van back with me when I re-entered the US. I just have to find out what documents will be required to accompany the proper form.

I also discovered that I'm entitled to, but didn't claim, the quarterly GST tax credit for the 3 years I lived in Ontario. That could be another substantial refund. I didn't file taxes because I was forced to stop earning money, and had expenses but no income to deduct them from. I probably cheated myself out of credits and refunds I deserve to receive. There also may be US tax credits I am entitled to. I will have to check.

And there are 6 more smaller refunds from Canada I can follow through on. Some will be easier than others.

This activity looks like it may pay better than a part-time job!

No comments: